Reflection Post Two

Hi all!

Hope you're having a good week so far. I've been super busy with school, work, and of course, getting to my yoga classes. While it's sometimes difficult to incorporate an hour class into my day, I always walk out of there feeling so refreshed! I went to my first class on a Friday morning at 9:30am, and what a great way to start my day. I was really nervous that I wouldn't be able to do all the moves, or that I wouldn't even know what the instructor was talking about. Thankfully, everyone at PowerYoga Canada is super helpful, and explain every move in great detail. they even had an assistant walking around the room, and adjusting your body to make sure you're doing the poses properly, and giving tips on how to get a deeper stretch.

One of the terms they kept using was "Ujjayi breathing" which honestly- I had no clue what that meant. So of course I googled it as soon as I got home. Sure enough, it's just a breathing technique in which you take a deep breath in and hold it in your lungs, and slowly release through your nose. While this is mostly how I was breathing throughout my practise, in my next class I made sure to really focus on my breathing and that I was doing it properly. It helped me to let go of all the stress I had walked in with, and really just enjoy my time on my yoga mat.

  
via GIPHY

Now let's talk about that heat! Man, were they not kidding when they call it Hot Yoga. When you first walk into the room, it just feels nice. As I waited for the class to begin, I just sat on my mat and did a couple stretches to warm up. But within the first couple moves of the class, I already had sweat dripping off of me. It was a little distracting at first, as it kept going in my eyes, or was making my hands slip on the mat a little bit. You get used to it though, and soon I was just able to accept that that's part of Hot Yoga! And I walked out of that room, feeling so refreshed and accomplished. the heat also helps to get a deeper stretch, and hopefully improve my flexibility, as I had mentioned is one of my goals of this project.

I've still got a long way to go- both in discovering my own strengths in yoga, and accomplishing all the goals I set out for myself. I already love the way Hot Yoga makes me feel, and it's a great homework break! If anyone reading is interested in trying yoga, I've included a link here to a little cheat sheet on "Yoga Lingo" that I found really helpful.

Good luck and check back in next week so see how far I've come along!

Comments