Reflection Post One

Welcome back everyone!


via GIPHY

If you're reading this, that must mean something I said earlier caught your eye, so hopefully you'll find this next post interesting enough to keep coming back week after week.

I've been super excited about starting my Genius Hour Project, because to be honest, I've never even heard of it before. As you've probably seen on the other pages of this blog, I'm using this opportunity to try something I've always wanted to try, but have always been a bit nervous about- yoga!! The whole premise behind the genius hour is super interesting to me. Giving students to be creative and get excited about their own education and exploring their interests? What's not to love! I think it's a great way to keep students engaged and be able to really show their pride in their work.

Now more specifically- how this all relates to me and yoga. I've always been interested in yoga, but intimidated by the whole culture. I started doing some research, and let me tell you- there is way more to this than I originally thought. I started to get overwhelmed with all the options of different types of yoga. So I decided to keep it simple. What did I want to get out of this? I wanted a good workout. Something that will really make me sweat and hopefully sleep better at night. I wanted a way to destress and really take some time to take care of myself. And, I wanted to be able to touch my toes. I know- random, right? But hey, it's just one of those things that I've always wanted to be able to say I can do. So, I decided on Hot Yoga, which is basically exactly what it sounds like. Yoga in a really hot room, so when you come out, your'e basically sweating like you just ran a marathon. This is the yoga studio I joined if you're interested in checking them out!

https://poweryogacanada.com/

Hopefully, in a few weeks I'll advance from Sheldon (on the right) to Penny (on the left).


via GIPHY


Now a little bit about this class that I'm taking right now. We've covered a lot our first two sessions. So far, I think teaching kids how to use different forms of powerpoint presentations would be useful in my future classrooms. It brings a tech aspect to the classroom, which gets the kids excited, but I feel like it also makes public speaking a little bit easier for them as well. The rest of the class is looking at the screen instead of the student presenting, so it helps to take a little bit of pressure off. Something like a biography would be a great back to school project kids could do at the beginning of the semester to get to know each other better. I would make sure they include lost of pictures, and keep the presentation short. By starting the year off using technology and their public speaking skills, we would be able to build on these lessons throughout the year.

Comments